- Abbott, Daisy, Jeffrey, Stuart, Gouseti, Anastasia, Burden, Kevin and Maxwell, Mhairi (2017) Development of cross-curricular key skills using a 3D immersive learning environment in schools. Communications in Computer and Information Science, 725. pp. 60-74. ISSN 1865-0929
- Gouseti, Anastasia, Abbott, Daisy, Jeffrey, Stuart, Burden, Kevin and Maxwell, Mhairi (forthcoming): Teaching and learning with the use of virtual 3D models: the case of the 1938 British Empire Exhibition
Conferences and Workshops
- Stuart Jeffrey, Daisy Abbott, Kevin Burden, Anastasia Gouseti, Mhairi Maxwell The REVISIT project: legacy heritage visualisations and educational potential, Evaluating Digital Cultural Resources 2016 (EDCR2016)
- Kevin Burden, Anastasia Gouseti, Stuart Jeffrey, Daisy Abbott, Mhairi Maxwell The potential of virtual 3D models in primary and secondary school settings: The case of the 1938 British Empire Exhibition model, 9th Annual International Conference of Education, Research and Innovation (ICERI2016), Seville, 14th-16th November, 2016. Presentation slides available here.
- Stuart Jeffrey & Daisy Abbott (2017) Working through Co-production with Community Groups. In: SGSAH Summer School, 21st June 2017, IET Teacher Building, 14 St Enoch Square, Glasgow.
3D model of the Empire Exhibition
Download the VSim version of the 3D model of the Empire Exhibition here: BEE_1938_Final.vsim This is derived from the original model but has been optimised and some elements (e.g. trees and flags) removed to achieve the lowest possible filesize.
VSim is software designed to facilitate use of academically generated three-dimensional models in both formal and informal educational settings. The software and user documentation can be downloaded from https://idre.ucla.edu/research/active-research/vsim/vsim-downloads.
The REVISIT project produced a short tutorial to familiarise users with VSim and the British Empire Exhibition. The tutorial and associated files are below.
- Tutorial pdf
- Tutorial VSim narrative
- Tutorial VSim embedded resources
- Zip file of archival images and other material for use with the tutorial.
REVISIT VSim Narratives
- Then and Now virtual tour of Bellahouston Park (preview video shown on the right, click to download full size).
Selected narratives created by pupils
These narratives were created by pupils at the three case-study schools. They have been edited to preserve anonymity where necessary. Some have also been edited to point to embedded resources that are available through this website. This means that you will need a network connection for them to work properly but you will not need to download all the related resources. The narratives are otherwise unedited.
Secondary school, near Hull: These narratives and related materials were produced as part of a 3 day ‘creativity challenge’.
- 9BTeam1: narrative; embedded resources.
- 9BTeam3: narrative; embedded resources.
- 9CTeam3: narrative; embedded resources.
Secondary school, Glasgow: These narratives and related materials were produced during two workshops as part of a lunchtime club. Children were 14 and 15 years old. (Preview video shown on the right, click to download full size).
- Student1: narrative.
- Student2: narrative; embedded resources.
- Student3: narrative.
- Student4: narrative.